The Newark LGBTQ Community Center is celebrating our extremely successful first year! Since last October, the Center has been a safe space, become a resource, and provided a range of services, events and programs to many people in our community. This was possible because of people like you, and we take this opportunity to say Thank you! We also want to share some notable achievements in our first year:
- Recruited a volunteer coordinator and increased the number of volunteers
- All members of the Board of Directors volunteer and donate financially.
- Hosted the Fire & Ice: Fireball Event, a fundraising event and celebration of our community’s Ball culture.
- Working in collaboration with local organizations on the Campaign to end LGBTQ Youth Homelessness
- Co-sponsored a Transgender Symposium
- Hosting the monthly Friday Youth Social Drop-in and Leadership Development meetings.
- Expanded days of operation from two days a week to five.
Although we are excited about these achievements, we plan to continue and expand our services in 2015:
- Develop the tool and assess the needs of the LGBTQ community, including health needs
- Compensation for staff members (our ED served pro bono in 2014)
- Expansion of yoga and wellness programs
- The Women’s Support Group
- More drop in hours
- Redesign our website to give more up to date information
These accomplishments are possible with the support of people like you, donors and volunteers who believe in our mission of providing a safer space, programs and services for LGBTQ people in Newark and surrounding areas.
To sustain the center and continue providing and expanding services in the future, we need continued financial support. Please consider a tax-deductible gift in the amount of your choice. The Newark LGBTQ Community Center is a 501c3 not-for-profit organization.
You may send a check or money order to: PO Box 200434, Newark, NJ 07102 or donate online via credit card or PayPal.
For more information and updates, please visit us on Facebook, and while you are there, LIKE us!
Thank you very much for your consideration, and we wish you a happy and joyous holiday season.
Rev. Janyce L. Jackson Jones, Executive Director
Alicia Heath-Toby, Board President
Board Members: Perris Straughter, Samuel Carruth Jr. MD, Julie Schwartzberg, James Credle, Ishmael Griffin, MD, Denise Hinds, Omayra Molina